Job Searching can feel challenging at the best of times! One thing we know for sure at the YWCA Employment & Learning Centre is that we all need a little extra support and encouragement to help us on our journey and especially as we navigate through this difficult time.
So, in the spirit of offering support, here are a few ideas we hope will help boost your spirits, support balance in your day, make you smile and enable you to find some things to do every day that enhance your well-being, success, and personal peace.
- Create a routine in your day that offers a pleasing mix of activities
- Be informed but don’t get fixated on the news – balance is the key
- Play some of your favorite music and have a dance party – it’s amazing how the songs and movement can lighten your mood – yes, there is scientific research and information that supports this – but just know it can help your heart/spirit feel a little lighter
- Dedicate some time to polish your resume and cover letters so when that perfect position gets posted you are ready to apply – we’re here to help if you’d like feedback on any document
- Access reliable websites to get facts and information about the current situation, for example, https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus#tab=tab_1 or https://saskatchewan.ca/coronavirus
- Stretch and move your body – find a YouTube video or just stretch, contract and stretch again
- Explore LinkedIN and create a profile or if you have a profile give it the once over to ensure it conveys the best of you for all potential employers to see; reach out and make new connections
- Bake some cookies –the scent of cinnamon can bring a smile to almost everyone’s face
- Make a list of what’s great about you – your best qualities and skills you will want to have ready to share with an employer during that phone or video interview
- Walk in the trees … enjoy the crunch of the snow under your feet … soak up the spring sunshine
- Look for job postings on sites such as https://ca.indeed.com/jobs-in-Saskatoon,-SK or https://www.saskjobs.ca/jsp/joborder/listing.jsp?filter_by=1®ion_id=11
- Take time to watch the sunrise – remember the sun continues to come up every day
- Keep applying for jobs online – just by thinking about the tasks associated with your job search as opportunities will help put you in a positive frame of mind
- Play – do things that make you smile – word games, board games, or maybe even pull out the Crokinole board and let the whoops of excitement fill your house
- Learn a new language … check out Duolingo – Language Lessons
- Reach out to family/friends by phone, video chats to connect, and share thoughts and ideas!
Focus on what you can control, take a few really deep breaths every day, stay safe and know you are not alone – our Employment and Learning team are here and available to help by phone or email. Take care out there!
Reception: 306-986-2873 Email: email@example.com