YWCA Saskatoon Coronavirus Update: May 28, 2020
YWCA Saskatoon has been working diligently and closely monitoring the developing Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation in our city, our province and across the globe. YWCA Saskatoon is taking our lead from Saskatchewan Health Authority and the province’s direction to reopen in 5 Phases.
Fitness Centres and Childcare Centres are both in the Government’s 3rd Phase of reopening the province, which has been announced for June 8th. We are busy preparing our fitness center to reopen this date, we will be operating under additional restrictions, including social distancing to ensure the safety of our staff and clients. More information will come with regards to protocols for our reopen. All Pools are in Phase 4 and will not be reopening at this time.
Our Early Learning Center is reopening as of June 1st for clients who are required to return to work. We will be operating at 25% capacity and slowly increasing to ensure the safety of our children, parents and staff accessing the centre. Parents have been contacted and will be kept up to date on any changes on a continuous basis.
The Government has mandated that all essential services remain open throughout the COVID-19 virus. The YWCA Saskatoon Crisis Shelter & Residence is considered an essential service as the interruption of it would endanger the life, health or personal safety of part of the population. As such, our shelter will continue to operate as usual with additional procedures and precautions in place.
YWCA Saskatoon is being proactive in our response and action to this virus and making decisions that are appropriate for our employees, clients and customers. We have an internal COVID Management Team and have plans in place focused on the health and safety of all people walking through our doors.
Here are several preventive measures that YWCA Saskatoon (and all of us) can take to prevent the spread of the virus, including:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing, for a minimum of 20 seconds
- Educating and informing staff and clients about proper sanitation and hygiene to protect themselves and others:
- avoiding touching your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands;
- coughing or sneezing into your sleeve and not the hands;
- increasing signage reminders throughout common spaces to encourage handwashing and sanitation
- practising social distancing and avoiding crowds of more that 50 people or any crowded spaces.
- Cleaning common areas more frequently and deepening our efforts in cleaning and disinfecting surfaces with stronger disinfectants
- Stay home if you’re feeling unwell and do not return until all symptoms have been absent for 24 hours
- Avoiding close contact with people who are sick
- Self-isolate for 14 days if you are returning from travel outside Canada
If you would like more information on the COVID 19 Coronavirus, please refer to the Saskatchewan Health Authority website.
At YWCA Saskatoon, safety is paramount and is our top priority for clients, staff and community. We are in the midst of very challenging times and we are grateful to have such dedicated staff and community.
Thank you for your commitment and support in creating a safe community for all.